Monday, May 20, 2013

Cycling

20/5/2013

I learned a few important lessons today:

1. The English countryside is very beautiful.
2. So beautiful, that it's easy to get distracted while cycling.
3. The front and back brakes are reversed on U.K. bikes.
4. Doing a front flip over the handlebars still hurts, even in a foreign country.

Yes, it's true. While admiring the quaint countryside passing me by, I looked back at the road to discover with horror that my bike was no longer aligned with the road and was, in fact, heading straight into a rut off the side. Being somewhat of an expert in not crashing bikes, I used my failsafe move: lock up the back wheel, apply moderate pressure to the front brakes, and hope for the best. Except that in the U.K., what should be the back brake is actually the front brake. Thus, I was sent hurling over the handlebars of my bike. Don't worry, no major injuries -- just some minor scrapes.

22/5/2013:
Quick update: I'm now back in London for another day before I fly to Amsterdam tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment